Pages

Aug 28, 2010

Yes, It Matters. Big Time!

I used to be one of those who poo-pooed pre-season games.  They don't count in the standings, reasoned I.  Statistics don't apply.  So who really cares other than the depth chart junkies?

Now that I work here (and assist with sports marketing) I have a far keener appreciation for pre-season games and those to whom they matter.  Because in the game of economic impact, pre-season games are valuable performers.

I've been here a few hours now, and I've watched how our corner of the city -- not just the stadium complex -- has come to life.  There were a few Giant-clad fans wandering around Washington Boulevard at noon, so I'm guessing they probably came to town for the game and will stay in a local hotel.  The outdoor seating at my favorite watering hole beyond center field is already filling up on what would otherwise be a relatively quiet Saturday.



Food concessions and vendors are taking their places along the periphery of the complex, and Ravens Walk is almost completely set up.  As I returned from watering some flowers, I ran into the manager of Central Parking, who told me the lots would be full tonight.  Probably those private facilities in the outer ring would sell out, too.  I also saw my friend Bethany from Aramark who was busy setting up their service area near the center of the action.  She was expecting a big night as well.

Perhaps most important is that tonight's game is an NBC network telecast.  A national audience will see our beautiful complex and city attractions in their summer best.  This is the kind of exposure we couldn't afford to buy.

So while the purists may discount the significance of our game against the Giants, the local fans who love the experience and those in the hospitality, retail, service and supply industries who get a boost from the 60,000+ of them expected here tonight are exceeding grateful for this "meaningless" event.

No comments: