Pages

Jan 8, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I've been blogging for six months now, and with the beginning of a new year, it's a good time to pause and reflect on ways I can do better.  So here are a few resolutions for Here 2 Play in 2010:


1.  Visit every region of the state at least once --

OK, my preference is to visit all 24 of Maryland’s jurisdictions to learn first hand about activities, events, and facilities. But the Junquemobile doesn’t do mountains and I don't do bridges.  Thanks to a lousy transmission and gephyrophobia, half the state is a real challenge.

But somehow I’ll make it to at least every region, hopefully with Tweety at the wheel.

2.  Recruit more correspondents

Here 2 Play should be more than Team Terry's observations. We’d like the thoughts of others as they experience the things to see and do in Maryland.    It would help if more facility directors, event promoters, destination marketing officials and team organizers would send Office of Sports Marketing their press releases, advisories and upcoming activity notices.   If we can’t get there, we can certainly give it a plug.

Have an idea? Send it along. We’d like to have you as part of our information network.

3.  Work on at least one new event for Maryland

OK, this should be easy, because Terry always has something cooking. I’m not sure what will pop first, but I can guarantee there will be something to elevate interest in Maryland as a sports and recreation destination.   This resolution is a given, but will still be a surprise.  Terry is just full of surprises.

4.  Tour more Maryland Trails --. I’ve wanted to cycle the Great Allegheny Passage since it opened three years ago. Western Maryland Trail, too. (I want to see the Indigo Tunnel for myself, bats or not.) And the Indian Head rail trail in Charles County that opened just a few months ago. (Honest, Donna -- we're going to do that bike/ kayak adventure this year.)

I could use up a year's worth of resolutions on Maryland’s trails alone.   I just received the beautiful publication about Maryland’s trails from Sylvia Ramsey, who coordinates state funding for many of them. Maryland has wonderful recreational trails, and enthusiasts who enjoy them regularly.  Their numbers continue to increase, thanks to multiple jurisdictions working together (and a lot of help from Sylvia.)

I had a wonderful time on a Gwynns Falls Trail ride this year. Despite a spill and noggin knock that left me reeling like Rothlesberger, this outing through parks and neighborhoods was my 2009 highlight.  It is a treasure for recreational riders and commuters alike.

5.  Plant more trees

OK, stop rolling your eyes.  Trees are important – very important – to sports and recreation. Not just for how they clean the air and cool the atmosphere, but how they represent community commitment to the environment.   If there is one surprising lesson I’ve learned this year, it is how important “sustainability” is to event planners and sponsors. It is a major criteria for determining where major events go and who supports them.   As part of “going green” this year, the Baltimore Marathon planted dozens of trees along the race course. That was just as important as recycling materials and using hybrid vehicles. 

So yes, planting trees is important, and it also contributes to the attractiveness of our facilities. So this year I’m doubling my tree quota and leaning on everyone I can to help with it.  (acorns welcome.)

6.  Lose 20 pounds  --

OK, you know I really want to do that Polar Bear thing.  I haven't been totally honest about why I didn't sign up.   It isn't just because the Merry Marketeers balked.   I'm perfectly capable of doing it on my own, but the only thing scarier than jumping in the Bay in sub-freezing temps is wearing a bathing suit in public when you carry more blubber than Moby Dick.  

So if I keep just this one resolution, maybe next January I can freeze with Flacco.

No comments: