Pages

Mar 30, 2010

Of Coral and Carnelian

There's a wonderful scene in "Blind Side" where Leigh Anne Tuohy emotionally tells Michael Oher that she loves him and will support him and be there for every single one of his games if he chooses to attend loathsomeTennessee.  But she draws the line at wearing orange.  "It just isn't in my color wheel," she protests.  Fortunately, Michael chooses Ole Miss, so she is spared that indignity.

Believe me, I can relate.  While I love our O's ever bit as much as the Ravens, I have a real problem wearing the colors.  Reminds me of what some old Dodger fan said about the San Franciso Giants, who share our pallet.  "We hate orange and black so much, we don't even celebrate Halloween."

Around the Warehouse, it's customary for us to dress in team colors.  It's kind of a tradition.  Not every day, but the True Believers definitely wave the sartoral flag for home stands.  And Opening Day is a must.  No peach or dreamsickle allowed -- you gotta wear orange.

I've tried to adapt accordingly, but learned a few years ago that jewelry can make the transition work while accommodating theWarehouse dress code.  So when the Birds fly home, I break out the coral and carnelian.  Thanks to eBay, there are enough beaded baubles to get me through the summer.  It isn't amethyst or charolite, but it covers the bases.

I can't help but think Leigh Anne must have been relieved when the Ravens drafted Michael Oher.  Purple is definitely in her color wheel (and we certainly know how good it looks on HIM.)

No comments: