Pages

Jan 13, 2011

Celebrating Selections

I had no plans to stop in the MLS SuperDraft, even though it is just across the street.  But a conversation with a Red Bull fan in line at Subway changed my mind.

He was part of a bus caravan that left Harrison at about 6:00 this morning.  This soccer fanatic even brought a date to the festivities.

Anyway, after he described the fan groups, the funny hats, drums, chants, and flags, I decided I had to go.  I'm glad I did. I hadn't seen this much ruckus since the 1980 Republican Convention.

Those pictured here are one of the three Red Bull fan groups.  They seem to have something to do with Vikings.  I don't get the connection, but since there was a band of them present, it must have some deep significance.  Perhaps it's some reaction to drinking the product.

These folks are part of the Philadelphia Union delegation.  I'm not sure what the sombreros were about, but it likewise seems to have some deep meaning to the faithful.  They were the loudest contingent when I was there, taking up one whole section of the ballroom.


Most energetic, however, had to be the aforementioned Red Bulls.  They were singing, chanting, beating the drum and waving the flag almost the whole time I was there.

While they were outnumbered by DC United partisans, I noticed the ranks of the Red and Black were diminishing during my visit.  I knew their bus wasn't due to leave for a few hours, so I went outside to look for them.

The second floor of the Convention Center was teeming with activity as thousands of soccer coaches were arriving for their annual conference.  This display was part of the welcome.

I noticed a stream of United scarves heading towards Pratt Street.  Not just the street, but what was across it.  If any of the out of towners wondered where they were assembling to honor thei new team members, this certainly would have guided them to the ale house.

I decided to check it out.  Sure enough, it was jammed with DC United stalwarts, getting ready for the end of the day celebration.

(Not to be outdone, the Philadelphia squadron STARTED their day in a pub, warming up before their march to the Convention Center.

So it looks like this week of soccer is going to be a grand success -- for the sport, the Convention Center, and certainly the hospitality trade on the periphery.

Can't help but wonder, though.  Think those Vikings might get a little rowdy after a few tankards of mead?

No comments: