Pages

Sep 24, 2010

Purple Friday

We have a seasonal ritual here in Baltimore.  It's called "Purple Friday" and it is ardently observed in the Warehouse.

As a faithful communicant of Purple Friday, I was decked out in my Flacco jersey (with amethyst accessories) when hoofing to work this morning.  It gave me a new perspective on how committed this town is to their team, and how supportive they are of their young quarterback.

I was startled when I got the first thumbs up from the garbageman on Cathedral.  But when I got the "way to go, Joe" from the newsboy, I realized the sentiments were not for me, but my jersey.

I was in front of the Basillica when someone emerging from morning mass gave me a shoulder punch and said "you'll get it on this weekend."  And there were numerous "Go Ravens" shouts from the commuters at the red lights.  (One even cawwed.)

I guess this is what it must be like to be an avatar.  Last Sunday night I stopped by a watering hole in my neighborhood to watch the Manning Bowl.  I was still wearing my game day jersey and was surprised to see other versions (one black, one white) of #5 in the sports bar.  Had never met either guy, but suddenly we were kindrid spirits.  "Needs to get out of the pocket faster," said one.   "Has to do something about those feet," said the other.  "Did you see how he had those feet placed?  That's the problem."

"Maybe it's just that time of the month," I offered.  (Admittedly, the guys don't think of things like that.)  "He'll get past it and be just fine."

The point is, Joe needs to know he has a lot of fans between Chase and Camden.  I'd be willing to bet that although folks all over town are concerned about his well-being, they still believe in Joe Cool.  And they definitely love their Ravens.

Just look around you on Purple Friday.

No comments: