Pages

Jun 6, 2010

Them again . . .

I had to stop by the Warehouse on my way to Annapolis this morning.  At 8:30 AM, I wasn't expecting to encounter a gauntlet of Sox fans hovering around the entrance.  But there they were, pens and baseballs in hand, waiting for the chance to snag autographs from their heroes.

Miss Katherine, the O's faithful game day gatekeeper, said they were there when she'd arrived at  7:45.

I was told later they'd actually been keeping vigil since before 7:00.

I can't say I yet understand this kind of devotion.  I do know, however, there were more than 40,000 fans in the stands last night and many (if not most) were attired like those above.

These fellows were all here for the weekend, staying at a nearby hotel.  They were likely eating at restaurants and celebrating in our local pubs.

I can understand why O's players and fans find them annoying.  The "Fenway South" mentality in which they consider Camden Yards home territory is particularly grating.

But they love their team, don't mind spending time and money in pursuit of their passion, and do help us pay the bills.

Just wish we could win one this home stand so they don't gloat all the way to Beantown tonight.

No comments: