Pages

Aug 12, 2009

The View From Bin 400

I love the Warehouse. The architectural design is classic E. Francis Baldwin -- stately and functional, built with massive oak beams and Maryland brick. I'm told it was a bear to restore, but its transformation from derelict railroad service facility to office complex with restaurants, shops and banquet rooms has made it one of Baltimore's most recognizable and servicable landmarks.

My uncle worked on the B&O for years and made a number of trips to Camden Yards and the Warehouse. He told me how the B&O carried merchandise for the Howard Street department stores (Hutzler's, Hecht's, etc.) to the Warehouse for storage. Inventory was cataloged by bin numbers, which were painted neatly on the brick walls. When our floor was converted to offices, the exposed brick was retained. So were the bin numbers.

I'm in Bin 400, Warehouse A. My window is on the far right corner, overlooking Camden Station and facing the Convention Center. From my bin, I can see the elegant parties held regularly at Geppi's, and the ongoing activities at Sports Legends. I can hear the light rail squeak and see streams of fans on their way to the ballpark. I gawk at the Otakon faithful in their truly weird costumes when its 90 degrees in August.

I also have a birds eye view of Conway as it turns on to Howard. Which brings me to the news at hand.

Since the City Council passed a resolution Monday night to support Baltimore Racing Development's plan to stage Indy Racing, a lot has happened behind the scenes. To bring the public up to date and outline future challenges, Baltimore Racing is holding a press conference next Monday, August 17th at noon at Sports Legends. Featured guest will be veteran driver Al Unser, Jr., part of BRD's team, and designer of the proposed course which will zoom right under my window.

I can't wait to hear more about this exciting event and meet some of the people involved. This requires a closer look than the one from Bin 400. Be sure to watch the news on Monday evening and tune in to the website for more coverage.

And wave to me in Bin 400.

No comments: